samedi 17 mars 2012

Federer, Nadal set up Indian Wells clash

INDIAN WELLS, California — World No. 2 Rafael Nadal and world No. 3 Roger Federer set up their first semi-final clash at the Indian Wells ATP Masters with contrasting victories over Argentinian opponents on Friday.

Nadal, who is chasing his first title of 2012, survived an opening set scare en route to a 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over David Nalbandian in their quarter-final match.

Swiss star Federer had a much easier time, rolling to a 6-3, 6-2 win over a frustrated Juan Martin del Potro in the joint WTA/ATP tournament in the California desert.

Federer and Nadal have met 27 times previously with Nadal having won 18, including four of the last five.

"We played 27 times. It will be the first time here at Indian Wells," Nadal said. "Tomorrow I have a fantastic match to enjoy and to try to play aggressive."

Added Federer, "I have had some great matches with him all around the world by now."

But this will be the first time 16-time grand slam winner Federer and reigning French Open champ Nadal will meet on the hardcourts of Indian Wells.

Nadal, who hit three aces, clinched the victory in the 10th game of the final set Friday when Nalbandian's running backhand went wide.

Nalbandian's momentum carried him forward and he almost crashed into his chair but managed to kick it over instead. He then congratulated Nadal on the win.

"It was very difficult," Nadal said. "I was a little bit more nervous than usual. It is a very important victory because I will now be in the semi-finals here. I am excited and happy.

"Nalbandian always gives me problems on my game, and that probably makes me feel a little bit not safe before the match. That's why probably I had more mistakes than usual."

Aucun commentaire: