mardi 2 juin 2009

Questions for Rafa: dealing with defeat and the curse of the pink shirt

R-nadal.585x350

Question from The Times

Rafa, whatever you tried today did not seem to work and even your famous fighting qualities failed to turn the match around. How were you feeling during the match, and what do you feel were the reasons for your shock defeat?

RN: Thanks, I think I did fight but as I always said, fighting is not enough. I didn't play well and Soderling played well. That was the key and the difference.

How do you react to a defeat like this - do you try to dissect exactly what went wrong, or do you try and forget about it as quickly as possible?

RN: No drama, it's only a tennis match. I always said when I won that it was only tennis match and that one day I would lose. It happened yesterday and here I am today. No problem. I will have to analyse what happened at the match and try to improve as I always say. I am only 22 (23 on Wednesday) and still young.

Robin Soderling's tactics when you met at Wimbledon last year upset you a little. Is there still any animosity between you or has that all been forgotten?

RN: I don't pay too much attention to those things.

Rafa: we know you love the pink shirt, but that you are also very superstitious. Do you think you will ever wear it again?

RN: I am not superstitious and I change the colour of the shirts every few tournaments. That has nothing to do with the defeat. Following those lines I should have lost the first match?

Questions from the fans

How do you feel when you receive a warning or a penalty point against you for taking time between points? Luisa Mandato

RN: I know that sometimes I can play slow. If I get that warning I will try to play a bit fasters, meaning in between points.

Did you ever consider playing doubles with Roger Federer? Tjasa

RN: Yes I did and asked him as well but he had other commitments with other colleagues to play when I asked. Hopefully one day, I am sure it will be fun.

Ok, the pink shirt is growing on me. So I have to ask...what's next? We know Wimbledon will be all white, but what do you have up your sleeve for the summer? Sharon Roberts

RN: It wouldn't be a surprise if I tell you, right?

Since you started playing tennis what is the longest period of time that you have done no physical training and played no tennis at all, and did you put on any weight during that time? Adeisha, Jamaica.

RN: No, not really.

Since you probably will not be playing a match on your birthday but the day before (hopefully), have you any plans to do anything special to celebrate or will you stick to your normal routine? Louise

RN: Well, now that I am back in Mallorca and will not celebrate my birthday in Paris as in the past years, I wil definitely spend time with my family and celebrate with them and my friends at night.

How in the world did the man who was just named the “most fit” manage to fail PE? Cheryl Travelstead

RN: It's a long story... but it was not because I was not fit... One day I'll tell you the story... :-)

Aucun commentaire: