vendredi 19 avril 2013

Nadal passes tough test to reach Monte Carlo Masters semis

Rafael Nadal was pushed all the way by Grigor Dimitrov before winning his 45th straight match at the Monte Carlo Masters, reaching the semi-finals with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory Friday.
Nadal dropped only his third set in his last five tournaments here — the previous ones coming against Andy Murray in the 2011 semi-finals and Novak Djokovic in the 2009 final — and he was under pressure at 30-30 in the eighth game of the final set before nailing a crucial serve.
“First of all, it’s a tough loss. I think I gave everything I had today,” Dimitrov said. “I must say, all credit to him. He’s an extraordinary player, extraordinary fighter.”
The eight-time defending champion sealed the victory on his second match point with an ace, after Dimitrov saved the first one with a forehand winner of astonishing power from the back of the court, made even more spectacular as he was limping.
As a 17-year-old, Dimitrov also took a set off Nadal at the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, Netherlands, and he thrilled the centre court crowd with a superb display of attacking tennis punctuated by exquisite drop shots and ferociously struck winners off both backhand and forehand.
By regularly taking the ball early, Dimitrov unsettled Nadal’s rhythm and the seven-time French Open champ was unable to dictate play.
“I think my game kind of unsettled him. I felt I was also moving well and I think he was surprised that I was moving well,” Dimitrov said. “I actually wanted to play long rallies with him. He made a few mistakes here and there. ”
After more than two hours of an intense contest, Dimitrov seemed to be struggling with cramps, flexing his right leg and rubbing his left thigh.
“Last time I was cramping in the middle of the second,” Dimitrov joked. “That’s progress.”
Dimitrov moved 0-40 ahead in the sixth game with a backhand passer down the line. Nadal saved two break points but lost his serve with a clumsy forehand that sailed way long.
However, he broke straight back for 5-2 and served out the set.
“Even though I lost the first set, I didn’t lose my composure on court, and that helped me win the second,” Dimitrov said. “When the third started, I felt quite comfortable.”
Dimitrov broke Nadal to move 4-2 up in the second set, and when he held for 5-2 there were nervous glances from Nadal up to his uncle Toni Nadal — who by this point had taken off his sunglasses and was offering advice in a bid to reassure his nephew.
Sensing an upset, the crowd roared when Nadal’s two-handed backhand flew into the net and Dimitrov levelled the match.
Dimitrov got the crowd even more on his side with one blistering half-volley down the line early in the third, hitting it with such power and timing that it caught even Nadal off guard.
He got a standing ovation when he saved the first match point, and Nadal’s relief was evident when he won. After hitting an ace he threw both hands up in the air and celebrated the win almost like he had won the final.
The third-seeded Nadal next meets sixth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who beat Stanislas Wawrinka 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/nadal-passes-tough-test-to-reach-monte-carlo-masters-semis/article11414285/

Aucun commentaire: