jeudi 19 juillet 2012

Rafael Nadal withdraws from Olympics due to injury


Spain's Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Olympics due to injury, saying he is not in condition to compete.
"I am not in the right physical condition to compete at the London Olympics and for this reason I will not travel as arranged with the Spanish delegation," the world number three announced in an e-mailed statement.
Nadal, the defending men's tennis gold medallist and an eleven-time Grand Slam singles champion, was a frontrunner to win another gold in London. He had been scheduled to carry the Spanish flag at the opening ceremony.
"Today is one of the saddest days in my career. Carrying the flag for Spain at the opening ceremony was set to be one of the biggest honours, one of the most special moments for me," Nadal said. "I have to think about my team-mates, I cannot be an egotist and think about myself here. I have to think about Spanish sport, and that one of my team-mates who is better prepared than me can take my place and compete to the best of his ability."
The favourites for the gold remain Wimbledon champion and world number one Roger Federer, world number two Novak Djokovic, and British fan favourite Andy Murray.





Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/Rafael+Nadal+withdraws+from+Olympics+injury/6958565/story.html

Aucun commentaire: